Annual Report 1998/99
Board Members' Interests
SNH maintains a register of Board Members' interests. An extract from the register is printed below, listing Members' employment, directorships and professions. For more detailed information, enquiries should be addressed to the Board Secretary, Scottish Natural Heritage, 12 Hope Terrace, Edinburgh EH9 2AS.
Scottish Natural Heritage Board
- Writer and Broadcaster. Chairman, Paths for All.
Professor Roger Wheater
- Chairman, Access Forum. Chairman, Tourism and Environment Forum. Chairman, Whipsnade Wild Animal Park Board. Deputy Chairman, The Zoo Forum. Trustee, Dynamic Earth Charitable Trust. Trustee, Diane Fossey Gorilla Fund. Trustee, The Zoological Society of London. Trustee, The William Thyne Scholarship. Retired Director, The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland. Former Director, Uganda National Parks.
- Farmer - partner in family farming business. Vice-Chairman, the State Hospital Board of Management. Member, Board of Management Hannover Housing (Scotland). Chair, Scottish Borders Children's Panel Advisory Committee. Chairman, Fife Environment Trust. Member, SoS Advisory Group on Sustainable Development. Member, SoS Education for Sustainable Development Group. Trustee, Garvald Home Farm.
- Chairman, Acair Ltd and Urras nan Tursachan Ltd and Western Isles Area PSYBT. Member, Harris Tweed Authority. Clerk to Lieutenancy of Western Isles. Member, The Harris Tweed Authority, Harris Textiles, Harris Tweeds, Harris Tweed, Clo Hearach Ltd, Clo Mor Ltd, Orb Ltd, Orb Tweed Ltd, Isles Business Management Ltd, Lowland Properties Ltd, Acair Ltd, Urras nan Tursachan Ltd, Tursachan Trading.
- Partner - K A Kelly Farm Enterprise. Member, BP plc Scottish Board. Member, Scottish Post Office Board. Chairman, Architects Registration Board. Convenor, Millennium Forest for Scotland Trust. Convenor, Priority Areas Fund. Trustee, Scottish Community Foundation. Trustee, Dumfries & Galloway College. Trustee, Crichton University Trust. Trustee, Scottish Business in the Community. President, Rural Forum. Hon President, Scottish Conservation Projects Trust. Trustee, Strathclyde University Foundation.
- Consultant, Thorntons WS. Partner in family farming business. Writer to the Signet; Chartered Surveyor. Member of SLF, NFUS, Game Conservancy Trust, RSPB, Member of Esk, Kirkaig, Inver and Naver District Fishery Boards.
Professor Fred T Last
- Applied Biologist. Chairman, Tree Advice Trust. President, Dunbar’s John Muir Assoc. Vice-Chairman, Scottish Wildlife Trust. Programme Convenor (Honorary), Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Chairman of Neural Innovations and Council member of CBI Scotland. Director of Gleneagles Hotels plc.
Dr Patricia Macdonald
- Partner in Aerographica, Private company specialising in environmental recording and interpretation, principally through the means of aerial photography. Trustee of the John Muir Trust.
- Lecturer and Consultant. Director, British Linen Bank. Director, Scottish Ballet. Director, Scottish Maritime Museum. Director, Wise Group. Director, Scottish Agricultural College. Member, Monopolies and Mergers Commission.
Peter J Peacock
- Convenor, Highland Council. Honorary President, Scottish Library Association. Member, European Committee of Regions. Member, Scottish Post Office Board. Member, Cairngorms Partnership. Member, Convention of Scottish Local Authorities.
Professor Jeremy Rowan-Robinson
- Solicitor (England and Wales). Professor of Planning and Environmental Law, Faculty of Law, Aberdeen University; Director of the Centre for Environmental Law and Policy, Aberdeen University; Consultant in Planning and Environmental Law, Paull & Williamsons, Solicitors.
North Areas Board
- Manager, LEADER II and PESCA Programmes, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise. Member, BBC Scottish Rural Affairs & Agricultural Advisory Committee.
Dr Michael Foxley
- Director, Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust. Director, Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust. Director, Lochaber College. Chairman, Highland Council Land & Environment Committee. Councillor, Ardnamurchan & Morvern, Highland Council.
- Provost of Nairnshire. Member, Highland Council - Planning Committee; Protective Services Committee; Culture & Leisure Services Committee; Education Committee; Policy & Resources Committee. Convenor, Northern Joint Police Board. Member, North of Scotland Water Authority.
- Farmer and Landowner. Partner in firm of J Halcro-Johnston and Sons, Farmers. Underwriting member of Lloyds. Director, Orkney Towage Company. Director, Orkney Meat Ltd. Director, Orkney Windpower Ltd. Convenor, Orkney Islands Council. Member, North of Scotland Electricity Consumers’ Committee. Elder, Orphir Church. JP (Ex Officio). Member of Institute of Electrical Engineers.
- Crofter. Director, Highlands & Islands Forum (HIF). Convenor, Highlands & Islands Forum. Part-time Auxiliary Observer, The Meteorological Office. Member, Scottish Crofters Union. Part-time Community Home Care, Social Work Department, Shetland Islands Council.
- Senior Staff Tutor in Primary Education, Western Isles Council. Member, Board of Acair Publishing Company.
- Active Sutherland crofter. Involved in the Scottish Crofters Union. Area assessor for the Crofters Commission and Chairman of Comann Eachdraidh Sgeire Raoird (local heritage group).
- Journalist, Author, Broadcaster and Consultant. Director, UHI Ltd. Board Member, Scottish Tourist Board. Member, Scottish Crofters Union.
- Principal, Inverness College.
- Writer and Consultant. Scottish Officer, Plantlife. Chairman, Scottish Wildlife & Countryside Link. Joint editor/publisher, SCENES (Scottish Environment News). Director, Highland Birchwoods.
Dr K M Swanson
- Farmer. Vice Lord Lieutenant, Caithness. Director, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise. Retired Assistant Director, AEA Technology, Dounreay. Trustee, Scrabster Harbour Trust.
East Areas Board
- Working Landowner. Chairman, Dee District Salmon Fishery Board. Chairman, DWP Ltd. Chairman, Scottish Landowners’ Federation Rural Housing Committee. Chairman, James Allan of Midbeltie Trust. Standing Committee Member, Dee Salmon Improvement Association. Board Member, Cairngorms Partnership Advisory Board.
- Chairman, Border Access Forum. Member, Tweed Foundation Technical Committee. Member, Principal Management Committee of Chartered Institute of Water and Environment Management.
Mrs Elizabeth M B Hay
- Landowner. Member, Scottish Committee of RSPB. Trustee, Scottish Architecture Education Trust.
- Journalist and Broadcaster - The Dundee Courier; The Scotsman; The Press & Journal. Member, Scottish Water & Sewerage Customers Council. Member, Health Education Board for Scotland. Member, Angus College Board of Management. Secretary, St Cyrus Community Council.
Robert E T Kay
- South of Scotland Regional Manager for the Scottish Landowners’ Federation. Member, Scottish Agricultural College Advisory Council. Chairman, Borders College of Further Education. Chairman, Association of Scottish Colleges. Member, East of Scotland Area Committee of the Scottish Water & Sewerage Customers Council. Member, Forestry Commission Regional Advisory Committee for the South of Scotland.
- Part-time Environmental and Educational/Training Consultant. Chairman, Youth & Environment Project, YouthLink Scotland. Member, Scottish Council for National Parks. SNH Representative, Edinburgh Greenbelt Trust.
Professor John McManus
- School of Geography and Geosciences, University of St Andrews. Chartered Geologist. Member of the Institution of Environmental Sciences. Consultant to Regional Councils on Coastal Management, Reservoirs and Harbour Charting. Council Member, European Union for Coastal Conservation. Member, Secretary of State’s Committee on Waste Disposal at Sea. British Standards Institution Panel on Sediments. Chairman Editorial Board, Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Associate Editor, Continental Shelf Research. Director, Tay Estuary Research Centre. Member, Fife and Tayside RIGS Groups. Fife Sustainability Roundtable. Forth and Tay Estuary Fora.
- Employed by Forth Ports plc. Forth River Purification Board - Secretary of State appointment. Chairman, Forth Estuary Forum.
West Areas Board
- Self-employed. Director, Reeve Analytical Ltd. Director, Integrated Environmental Solutions Ltd.
Dr Jim Hansom
- Coastal Geomorphologist. Reader in Geography and Topographic Science, University of Glasgow. Director, Coastal Research Group, University of Glasgow.
The Countess of Glasgow
- Member, Joint Advisory Committee of Clyde-Muirshiel Regional Park. Chairman, Scottish Council for National Parks. Member, Executive Committee of National Trust for Scotland. Member, Management Group of Scottish Wildlife and Countryside Link.
- Farmer and Forester. Board Member, Argyll & Isles Enterprise. Board Member, Scottish Board NFU Mutual Insurance Co. Member, Management Committee, Royal Scottish Agricultural Benevolent Institute. Honorary Vice President, SAOS Ltd. Trustee, Argyll & Bute Countryside Trust. Underwriting Member of Lloyds.
Dr Malcolm Ogilvie
- Consultant. Director, British Birds Ltd. Secretary, Rare Breeding Birds Panel.
Dr Phil Ratcliffe:
- Independent Consultant on Landuse (Ecological) Issues. Joint Owner, Cowal Bird Garden, near Dunoon.
- Director, Buccleugh Countryside Service, Buccleugh Estates Ltd. Chairman, Red Alert Southwest Scotland. Vice-Chairman, Southern Uplands Initiative Steering Group. Member, Scottish Landowners’ Federation Access and Tourism Committee. Board Member, Barony College, Dumfries. Trustee, South of Scotland Wildlife Hospital.
Dr R C Kirkwood
- Part-time Reader in Ecology, Graduate School of Environmental Studies, University of Strathclyde. Research Consultant, Plant Science Division, Scottish Agricultural College. Member, Scottish Wildlife Trust. Member, European Weed Research Society. Fellow, Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Scientific Advisory Committee
Professor Paul Racey
- Regius Professor of Natural History, University of Aberdeen. Trustee, Fauna & Flora International. Trustee, Macaulay Development Trust. Director, Macaulay Research & Conservancy Services.
Professor John Davenport
- Professor of Marine Biology, University of London. Director, University Marine Biological Station, Millport. Council and Board Member, Scottish Association for Marine Science. Council Member, British Ecological Society. Board Member, Scottish Environment Protection Agency (West Region).
Professor C H Gimingham
- Member, Advisory Board of the Robert Gordon University Heritage Unit. Member, Scientific Advisory Panel of RSK Environment Ltd. Member, Mar Lodge Estate Management Committee of NTS.
Professor T J Maxwell
- Director, Macaulay Land Use Research Institute. Member, Consortium of Heads of Agricultural & Biological Research Organisation Scotland. Chief Executive & Director, Macaulay Research & Consultancy Services. Trustee, MacLagan Trust & Macaulay Development Trust. Member, Secretary of State’s Hill Farming Advisory Committee. Director, CORDaH. Member, Joint Consultative Committee SOAEFD. Member, National Trust for Scotland, Countryside and Nature Conservation Committee. Member, BBSRC Institute Management Committee.
Professor Brian Staines
- Retired Research Director. Director, Deer Management Qualifications Ltd. Member, RSPB Scottish Committee, Montane Scrub Action Group.